An unequal population of 26 million
In 1980, South Africa had a population of about 26 million. Its population had been increasing by 25% each year for the past 10 years. However, this average did not give a clear picture of some significant differences. The Black population had increased by 31% while the White population had increased by only 18%.
By 1980, three out of four South Africans were Black (75%). The other quarter of the population (25%) was made up half of Whites, and 13% of these were Métis and 12% were Asian. In spite of the high infant mortality, the population was predominantly young. In 1950, the urban population of South Africa was 5.9%. It was more than 25.2% in 2000.
Author: Marianne Giguère
See also – Links:
This page is also available in: Français