Create Your own Beadwork
An activity originally designed by Robin Delaronde for her students at Kateri School, Kahnawake. (She is presently KEC Director of Education)
What you will need:
beads (various sizes)
felt (6″ x 6″ or half of an 11 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ sheet)
1. Print the pattern and cut out the pieces. Click here to get the pattern
2. Trace two copies of the pattern on the piece of felt.
3. Cut out the pieces that you traced on the felt. Make sure to cut the line in the middle of the body of the bird. You might need to get some help from an adult.
4. Draw chosen designs on two sides of the bird.
5. Choose various coloured beads, and thread the needle.
6. Bead your design on the body and wing of the bird.
7. Attach the two sides of the bird’s body by sewing one bead on the edges.
Make sure not to close the body in order to provide room to stuff the bird. Also, try to leave space where the bird wing can go through the two sides of the bird.
8. Once the bird has been stuffed, close the remainder of the body.
9. Sew the two bird wings together using the same method as was done on the body of the bird.
10. Slide the wing through the body of the bird.
11. Attach a strand of beads between the top of the head and the tail to use as a hanging loop.
French if available (si disponible)